The Liberty II
Designed for children in less-resourced settings
A specialized, adjustable and affordable wheelchair for children who need additional postural support to sit upright. Built to perform in rural, semi-urban and urban environments. Released in 2019, the newly redesigned Liberty II features an upgraded seating and positioning system providing even greater comfort and support for children with complex positioning needs.
- Available in 3 sizes, with an adjustable frame that can grow with the child
- Adjustable frame enables changes in center of gravity
- Fully adjustable armrests, head support, push handle, footplate, foot straps, calf strap, pelvic strap and chest harness
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Newly redesigned plastic tray table with lock mechanism
- Pneumatic wheels that can’t go flat and don’t need to be pumped
- Removable wheels for transportation
- All seat covers are removable for easy washing
Durable and high-quality
- Drum tested for durability
- Designed using widely available parts for easy repair
- Certifications: ISO 7176-8, ISO 13485
Modifications for extra support
- Adjustable pre-seat bone shelf
- Abductor and anti-tippers (additional cost)
- Tilt-in-space option (adjustable with tools)
Change a child’s life for just $300
Millions of children in low- and middle-income countries are unable to access the assistive products and services they need to thrive.
Donate today and transform a child’s future with an appropriately fitted wheelchair. Your donation of $300 will go toward the purchase and provision of a Liberty II wheelchair for a child in need.
For additional product information, or to purchase in bulk, visit clasphub.org.
Design story: the original Liberty wheelchair
As their bodies are still growing, children with physical disabilities are at greater risk than adults of developing painful deformities and other medical conditions caused by hours of sitting in poorly fitted wheelchairs. With less access to appropriate assistive technology, children in low- and middle-income countries are even more vulnerable.
Most children’s wheelchairs are designed and manufactured for the high-income market, meaning that the cost and functionality do not meet the needs of children and families in low- and middle-income countries. In response, we designed the original Liberty wheelchair, an adjustable and growable wheelchair rugged enough to handle challenging terrain but at an affordable price.
Since its release in 2010, more than 10,000 Liberty wheelchairs have been provided to children in need around the world.
Dani lives in El Salvador with his mom, step-dad, and brother. He loves going to school, spending time with his family and friends, and Spider-Man. In 2018, his mom brought him to the local rehabilitation center where he was provided with a Liberty wheelchair by therapists trained by UCP Wheels in line with World Health Organization standards to ensure appropriate fit for long-term comfort and postural support.
Liberty II product journey
The Liberty II builds off of the original Liberty wheelchair design, with added durability and improved seating and positioning elements. With the Liberty II, we created a children’s wheelchair with the positioning features that are standard in the high-end commercial market, but at an affordable price.