UCP Wheels for Humanity, a North Hollywood-based nonprofit organization working to bring mobility to people around the world, has an exciting internship opportunity available in the Development Department.
The Development Department builds and maintains relationships with individual, foundation and corporate donors to obtain monetary gifts for UCP Wheels for Humanity by working to solidify leads both in and out of UCP Wheels fundraising campaigns. Funds raised support the UCP Wheels mission: to provide increased self-sufficiency, mobility, and education for children and adults with disabilities throughout the world, without regard to political affiliation, religious belief or ethnic identity. Currently, UCP Wheels provides properly-fitted wheelchairs, as well as additional programs in mobility, therapy, empowerment, and advocacy, to people with disabilities in over a dozen countries.
Description: The Development Intern – Special Events, Outreach, and Campaigns will report to the Campaign and Outreach Campaign and in some situations with the Director of Development. She/he will be responsible for activities and projects that will advance the efforts of the Development Department at UCP Wheels for Humanity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities will revolve around projects and assignments in the areas of foundation relations, communications, and social media:
• Special Events
o Assist in coordinating communications with the Wheels in Motion Committee
o Provide support in identifying, qualifying, and cultivating sponsors, donors, and supporters.
o Conduct cultivation and stewardship activities to connect with past attendees and supporters of the event
o Research prospective partners and supporters of the organization
o Assist in securing presentations with community, civic, religious, and other groups
o Conduct presentations as needed.
o Assist with the coordination and planning of campaigns.
o Coordinate communication with the campaign committee.
o Research potential sponsors, donors, groups, and supporters.
o Provide logistical support as needed with campaign activities.
• Must be enrolled in a two- or four-year institution, demonstrate excellent academic progress, and have junior or senior status.
• Strong written and excellent verbal communication skills.
• Strong interest in the nonprofit sector.
• Enthusiastic about learning.
• Experience in using and managing social media.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines.
• Ability to work in a team environment while also possessing the ability to work independently.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately. Must be willing to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
• Must be able to commit to 10-15 hours per week for 3-6 months.
• Must be available to volunteer at UCP Wheels’ annual fundraising event, Wheels in Motion, on Saturday, September 26th, 2015
• Must have own transportation
Please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . The cover letter should be the body of your email. In the subject line, please put “Development Department Internship Application”
In your cover letter, include why you want to intern for UCP Wheels for Humanity, how this internship relates to your educational and career goals, and a favorite “fun fact” about yourself.
Thank you for your interest!