About the Development Department
The Development Department builds and maintains relationships with individual, foundation and corporate donors to obtain monetary gifts for UCP Wheels for Humanity. Funds raised support the UCP Wheels mission: to provide increased self-sufficiency, mobility, and education for children and adults with disabilities throughout the world, without regard to political affiliation, religious belief or ethnic identity. Currently, UCP Wheels provides properly-fitted wheelchairs, as well as additional programs in mobility, therapy, empowerment, and advocacy, to people with disabilities in over a dozen countries.
Intern Duties & Responsibilities:
The Development Intern will report to the Director of Development and will be supervised by the Development Coordinator. She/he will be responsible for activities and projects that will advance the efforts of the Development Department at UCP Wheels for Humanity.
Duties and responsibilities will revolve around projects and assignments in these three areas:
1. Prospect Research
– Conduct research on new or existing donors to identify their connection to the organization, mission, and/or potential to support.
– Develop profiles for prospective donors.
– Identify connections and networks to UCP Wheels for Humanity and its mission.
2. Grants and Foundation Relations
– Conduct research on corporate and community foundations.
– Draft and/or review proposals, LOI’s, and/or RFP’s.
– Track and monitor progress with submitted proposals.
– Conduct thank you calls and send
acknowledgement emails and letters to donors.
– Enter data in Raiser’s Edge database system and Salsa web-based donation and email management system.
– Assist department in organizing physical and electronic files related to grants, communications, and media.
– Must be enrolled in a two- or four-year institution, demonstrate excellent academic progress, and have junior, senior, or graduate student status. Communications, Journalism, or Business Administration majors preferred.
– Strong written and excellent verbal communication skills.
– Strong interest in the nonprofit sector.
– Enthusiastic about learning.
– Experience in using and managing social media.
– Strong organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines.
– Ability to work in a team environment while also possessing the ability to work independently.
– Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately. Must be willing to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
– Must be able to commit to 10-15 hours per week for 3-6 months.
– Must be available to volunteer at UCP Wheels’ annual fundraising event, Wheels in Motion, on Saturday, September 20th 2014
– Must have own transportation
Please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
The cover letter should be the body of your email. In the subject line, please put “Development Department Internship Application.” In your cover letter, include why you want to intern for UCP Wheels for Humanity, how this internship relates to youreducational and career goals, and a favorite “fun fact” about yourself.
Thank you for your interest!